The Museum's story
Start of construction on Kaffee Worpswede
Completion and opening (June 3) of the Große Kunstschau Worpswede, designed by Bernhard Hoetger, with the first exhibition of the Worpswede artists’ association “Wirtschaftliche Vereinigung Worpsweder Künstler”. Museum director: Martin Goldyga (1894-1956)
Martin Goldyga serves as general director of the Große Kunstschau for the firm Kaffee Worpswede GmbH.
Jubilee exhibition in the Große Kunstschau celebrating 50 years of the artists’ colony.
The artists’ association “Wirtschaftliche Vereinigung Worpsweder Künstler” is disbanded.
Exhibition for the Low German Painting Festival. Martin Goldyga is banned from the exhibition due to his political views.
Re-opening of the Große Kunstschau on August 12 by degree of the American occupation forces.
Martin Goldyga leases the Große Kunstschau from Kaffee Worpswede GmbH.
The exhibition “60 years of Worpswede” is held in the Große Kunstschau, the Worpsweder Kunsthalle, the Philine Vogeler Gallery and in the gallery “Die Insel”.
The first post-war Federal German Exhibition features the works of Heinrich Vogeler in the Große Kunstschau Worpswede. His works from the Soviet Union are shown for the first time.
Martin Goldyga dies on 3 March 1956 in Worpswede and is laid in state in the Große Kunstschau.
Ursula Köhler, née Goldyga (born in 1924), is general director of the firm Große Kunstschau für die Böttcherstrasse GmbH in Bremen.
The painting “Sommerabend” (Summer Evening) by Heinrich Vogeler joins the permanent collection of the Große Kunstschau.
The new building of the Ludwig Roselius Museum for Pre-History and Early History (by architect Prof. Gerhard Müller-Menckens) is completed and inaugurated by the German president Gustav Heinemann on 22 June 1971.
Hoetger’s picture frames are removed from the paintings of the founding generation and those of Paula Modersohn-Becker as they are no longer considered representative of contemporary taste.
The Osterholz administrative district establishes a graphothek in the former Logierhaus.
The Osterholz administrative district purchases the Hoetger architectural ensemble of Kaffee Worpswede and Große Kunstschau.
Christel Geertz leases the Große Kunstschau from the Osterholz administrative district.
Purchase of 32 pictures from the Roselius collection for the Große Kunstschau with the support of the Federal Republic of Germany, the state of Lower Saxony, the administrative district of Osterholz and the Lower Saxony Sparkassenstiftung. From now on the collection remains in Worpswede on permanent loan.
Centennial celebration of Worpswede as an artists’ village. Retrospective exhibition of the Worpswede art workshop in the Roselius Museum and in the Große Kunstschau. Special exhibitions are now presented on a regular basis.
Exhibition of works from the Hermitage in St. Petersburg and the Große Kunstschau Worpswede.
The “Kulturstiftung Landkreis Osterholz” is founded. This cultural foundation assumes from the Osterholz administrative district all rights and obligations for the “Große Kunstschau”.
The exhibition 75 years of the Große Kunstschau in Worpswede – Looking back at 1927.
Renovation of Kaffee Worpswede.
The Ludwig Roselius Museum for Pre-History and Early History closes. The owners of the collection transfer it to the State Museum of Schleswig-Holstein at Gottorf Palace. In December the Große Kunstschau is closed due to disrepair.
Starting in March, the pictures from the founding members of the artists’ colony are shown in the former Roselius Museum.
The Artothek is closed for renovation.
Start of renovation work at the Große Kunstschau. Restoration of the building’s original colour scheme. Opening of the new administrative office in the former Logierhaus.
Re-opening of the refurbished and restored Große Kunstschau in February. Pictures from the founders of the artists’ colony are shown in its historical part. Works by Bernhard Hoetger are on display in the former foyer.
The overall complex with its buildings dating from 1927 and 1970 are given the common name “Große Kunstschau Worpswede”.
Re-opening of the newly renovated and enlarged former Roselius Museum as a location for contemporary and modern art.